ISCO is a not-for-profit organisation incorporated in London in 1984 and dedicated to improving world-wide preparedness for response to oil and chemical spills.
ISCO is a truly international organization, currently with membership in 36 countries around the world - Australia, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, China, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Ghana, Greece, India, Israel, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Turkey, UK, United Arab Emirates and USA.
What ISCO is doing ….
Consultative Status at IMO -
- Through its consultative status at IMO, ISCO gives the spill response community a voice and input to the work of IMO in safeguarding the marine environment.
- Through its involvement in IMO, ISCO alerts the spill response community on new developments, some of which present opportunities for ISCO members.
- ISCO is contributing to the work of the IMO OPRC-HNS Working Group, currently collating information on experience in response to HNS spills and to Subsea Oil Recovery. The emphasis is on the collation of experiences, problems solved and lessons learned by spill responders – information that is often not published or presented at conferences. This information will be valuable in the drafting of new response guidelines and manuals. Contributors have an incentive to contribute to this work because their inputs will be acknowledged, raising individual or company profiles with governments, oil and shipping industries, insurance interests and others.
- ISCO is committed to supporting IMO’s Technical Co-operation Programme, finding qualified individuals who can help third world countries to implement OPRC and other conventions. Day rate, travel and subsistence costs are payable to selected candidates.
Sourcing help –
- Spill scenarios are often unique – presenting very specific problems and requiring innovative approaches or application of methodologies that aren’t in the textbook. ISCO has the contacts that can help you to quickly find the expertise or specialised equipment you need to find in a hurry.
- ISCO encourages co-operation between spill responders and can help members find the right partner with complementary skills and know-how to meet new challenges.
- ISCO assists governments and other organisations in sourcing emergency support and resources in major pollution incidents. At the touch of a button, ISCO can alert all of its members (and others if necessary) to urgent requirements and, at the same time, act as a filter, summarising available assistance and passing on only the appropriate information. This prevents vital channels of communication becoming clogged up with sales calls.
The ISCO Website –
- Events Calendar - Listings and details of Conferences, Exhibitions, and Scheduled Training Courses (Oil Spill Response, Chemical Spill Response and Homeland Defence) - typically gives information on up to around 200 events in over 20 countries
- Downloads Page – Over 200 useful downloads – tools, data sheets, technical guidance, etc. in the fields of oil and chemical spill response, CBRN and Homeland Defence.
- International Directory – for sourcing consultants, equipment and materials manufacturers and suppliers, response organisations, and providers of training courses.
- News – ISCO’s weekly newsletter, new technology section, appointments, business opportunities, job vacancies and job seekers.
And, in the “Members Only” part of the ISCO website –
- Technical & Reference Sections – Oil spill response, chemical spill response, and CBRN / Homeland Defence – articles and features.
- IMO Section – OPRC and HNS Protocol, Reports, IMO News, Work Group Pages (Sub-sea oil recovery and HNS response)
- ISCO Pages – “What’s New”, Meeting reports, Complete member listings and background information, ISCO constitution.
The ISCO Newsletter –
ISCO’s weekly newsletter is focused on international, regional and national news that is of interest to professionals, companies and organisations involved in oil and chemical spill control, and the emerging field of CBRN incident response.
Through the Newsletter and its other activities, ISCO is disseminating information on new developments – technical advances, legislation, events and other matters that affect the international spill response community.
In Association with ISAA –
ISCO is responsible for the administration of the International Spill Accreditation Association (ISAA) - the world’s only independent accreditation body working with governments, the response community and other stakeholders to raise standards of spill response.
ISAA undertakes the independent assessment and accreditation of spill response companies and organisations, and organises training events, workshops and seminars.
A joint ISAA-ISCO Working Group of respected international experts is currently developing criteria for the accreditation of companies and other organisations involved in response to chemical / HNS pollution incidents.
Join ISCO today
Be part of a worldwide community of professionals who share a common interest.
Find out more about joining ISCO..